Friday, June 7, 2013

Best Mascaras For Monolids

Hello my friends!
I am showing you my favorite mascaras today.
So I have monolids and I have asian lashes that are short and points straight down.
And it's even worse when my thick eyelids cover part of my lashes and makes them look even shorter and droopier.
When it comes to mascara, I tend to be very picky.

First of all, I like my mascara to be lengthening because my lashes are quite voluminous, so I would love to make them longer.

Secondly, I should not smudge on me. Mascaras are very easy to smudge on me, even waterproof ones because A I have oliy lids and my eyes are watery, B my eyelids pushes my lashes down and make them touch my lower lash line every time I blink.

Thirdly, it has to be able to keep my lashes curled. Like I mentioned before, my eyelids somewhat pushes my lashes down, so a mascara that holds curl would help a lot and make my eyes look wide open.

And lastly, I would love it a lot better if it is easy to remove. Now, I do know that waterproof mascaras tend to keep the curl the best, but I just find it so hard to remove. I like to use a water-based eye makeup remover like Bioderma or Camomoile Gentle Eye Makeup Remover from the Body Shop just because they are a lot more gentle for my sensitive eyes. Plus I hate it when I use an oil makeup remover and when I open my eyes they got all blurry.

With that being said, it is extremely hard for me to find a good mascara. However, I did find several good ones to share with you.


Top 1: Dejavu fiberwig mascara in extra long (Sadly I ran out so I cannot show you my own tube here)
1)Lengthening and volumzing. Can be built up from natural lashes to full lashes.
2)Don't smudge at all. May flake a little bit after 10 hours of wearing.
3)Holds a pretty good curl. So like skyhigh curl, but as you can see the curved wand really helps.
4)Super easy to remove. Warm water alone can remove all the mascara away.

This can be purchased at Amazon and other online asian cosmetics store like sasa.com

Top 2: Combination of Kate macara base plus volume glamour mascara ultra-volumateur from bourjois
I bought them in Shanghai and I am sorry that they are hard to get here in US, but honestly they work the best for me so I want to show them to you. Also, this is kind of cheating because there are two products, but again, I find them work the best together. And I will list some alternatives that are easier to get in US.
Kate is a Japanese makeup brand. I think it is ran by the same company who produces Shiseido, so this Kate line is a more affordable Japanese drugstore version of Shiseido products.

This works as a primer. It has white fibers on the brush, and you brush it onto curled lashes before mascara. It lengthens my lashed and make them really really curled.
Bourjois is a French drugstore makeup brand that are widely available in Europe. They have amazing foundations, baked blushes (often compared as a dupe for Chanel blushes) and mascaras. This mascara works good on its own. It is so smooth to apply and lengthens and volumizes, but it does not hold curls.

1)But when I apply this mascara onto my primed eyelashes, it enhanced my lashed sooooo much. My lashed look so long and full.

2)Smudges a tiny little bit after 8 hours. With covergirl's nature luxe mousse mascara it can hold up to 10 hours.

3) I lashed look so curled!!! My friend who's got naturally long and curled lashes use this mascara base too, she said with this mascara base, she doesn't even need false eyelashes anymore.

4) It is a bit harder to remove. But a water based makeup remover and use a facial cleanser afterwards should do the trick.

I highly recommend you try using a primer and then layer a smooth mascara on top, because you already have fibers in the base, another fiber mascara would make your lashes too stiff. However, the primer should be able to keep your lashed curled.

Dior's lash plumping serum and Shiseido's nourishing mascara base are the two best alternatives. And I would also use Covergirls's nature luxe mascara and also Benefit's they are real mascara as alternatives. All of these could be purchased at Sephora except covergirl.

Top 3: Fairy Drops Volume Burst Mascara in waterproof version
The tube is in purple and it's got some cute drawings on it. The packaging is just so cute. =P
Fairy Drops is famous for its curvy wand, and it grabs my every lashes and curled them very nicely. It looks wierd but it actually applies like a normal mascara wand.


1) Lengthening: did a pretty good job in making my lashed look long and volumized.
2) Smudges a little bit after 7 hours, but could be wiped away easily.
3) Curls up my lashed like crazy!!! It gives a straight sky high curl if I apply it after I curled my lashes.
4) Of all my favorite mascaras, I spend the most efforts in taking this one off. But it's not too harsh compared to maybelline waterproof mascaras. I press my Camomile Gentle Eye Makeup Remover from the Body Shop against my eyelids for a few seconds and wipe them off. Most of them will come off, and after repeating the same motion two times, it's pretty much all gone.

There's also a little trick to take off waterproof mascara easier that works for me. I first apply a thin layer non waterproof mascara and then go on with the waterproof one, in that way the waterproof one doesn't cling onto my lashes. Hence it is easier to get off.

I did a in depth review for this one as well. Click here .

This mascara can be purchased on Amazon and sasa.com.

Top 4: Clinique's Bottum Lash Mascara
I use this only for bottum lashes.
It's got a tiny wand and it works so well on me because my eyes are quite small and also..my bottum lashed are short..So this one really grabs every baby lashes and lengthens them. Plus they are super easy to work with.

1) Lengthens very well. I don't use any other mascaras on my bottum lashes any more.
2)Does not smudge or flake AT ALL.
3) I guess it does not matter if my bottum lashes are curled or not lol
4) Super easy to come off. Warm water and a little cleanser will get rid of it. If you rub you lower lash line when you're washing your face, it'll be gone like that quick.

You can buy this mascara at Sephora.

Now a few tips for monoliders when we are putting mascara on:

  • I think it is important for monoliders should use bottum mascara. Because our eyelids are so heavy that when we blink, the product we put on our upper lash line may touch our bottum lash line a lot.After a few hours the eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara will just transfer to bottum lash line and that is why we see smudging. If I wear mascara on bottum lashes, I find that it works almost like a barriers.  My makeup on upper eyelids will not touch my lower eyelids directly now(lower eyelid..sounds weird.. but you know what I'm talking about right? =P). So the smudging problem got a lot more improved this way.



  • Also, it is very important to really curl your lashes if you have monolids like me. Because  if we curl the lashes very well, it will make our eyes seem wide open and the mascaras we use are less likely to smudge.

Wow this is a long blog post..Anyways I hope you enjoy. =]
Oh and also remember, when it comes to beauty, be experimental and be confident!



2 comments: